Is your life like a jigsaw? – Then learn how to increase your control
Do you find that you end up juggling different aspects of your life just to get by, day by day? Sometimes life can be like trying to fit together the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.
From your work life, to your home life, your personal life, your family life, your life with your friends…it goes on and on – you keep changing hats, day by day, hour by hour.
But that is life; change is good as long as you have control over it and it does not control you.
Sifting through the chaos could seem like an insurmountable task, but it doesn’t have to be this way! The key is to take the jigsaw puzzle of life and evaluate your situation. Make small steps toward having an organised life. Don’t try to change all at once or you could end up just adding to the chaos.
Here are several tips to follow to get your jigsaw puzzle life organised:
1. Have a Place for Everything. There are certain items that you use nearly every day. Make sure that these items have a permanent place in your home. Put your keys on a key holder near the door or your wallet in your desk draw. When your things are put away in their proper place, you’re not only organised, but you’ll save time as well.
2. Make a List. When you have tasks to complete, make a list of everything you need to do in order to reach completion. Writing it down will help you to visualise what needs to get done. Lists also insure that you don’t forget to do anything.
* You can also separate your lists into long-term and short-term categories. The short-term list might be items you need to complete today, while the long-term sheet is your monthly or yearly goals.
3. Start Small. If there are many aspects of your life that you’re trying to get organised, start with the small pieces first. For instance, if your home is unorganised, start with one room – like the kitchen. Give yourself a timeline to complete kitchen organisation, and then expand yourself to other rooms once you complete that task.
4. Find a System That Works And Stick To It. There are many different organisational methods that you can choose to implement, but the most important element is to use it consistently. Make sure you understand it and follow through.
* For example, there are different ways you can organize your bookshelf. You can order all books by author. You can order all books by topic. You can order by topic and author. Once you choose a system, all you need to worry about is following through.
5. Get Rid of Clutter. If you find your life is full of clutter, it’s time to get rid of the junk. Maybe it’s time to finally go through all the stacked boxes in your garage to make more room. When you’re going through your clutter, decide immediately whether or not you’ve used the item in the past couple years. If you haven’t, consider selling it or giving it away to charity.
* Always remember that your first instincts are often right. If your first instinct is to get rid of something, don’t over think it. You could end up keeping something that sticks around for another couple years, unused!
6. Sort Your Mail. This is a simple one that can help you greatly. Your mail can stack up fast. As soon as you get it, sort it. Throw out the junk mail and shred the documents you don’t need that might contain personal information. Take care of your bills right away, so you don’t have to worry about it later.
7. Go Paperless. In this digital age, it’s popular to cut out the paper to save yourself some organizational headaches and save the environment. When companies bill you, there is usually an option to go paperless. Use this option and start managing your billing statements online.
Its important not to get overwhelmed and you can also go here for more ideas
What will being organised achieve?
Being organised can help you fit the pieces of your jigsaw life together, giving you more control over your decision making and making you feel in control as opposed to feeling exhausted running from one task to another.
Of course there are many more things you can do to get yourself organised. The main point is to try to make a positive step forward each day even if it’s something small.
You’ll soon find that your life will become more manageable and you’ll feel a great deal of satisfaction!