Sometimes the idea of staying sane at work seems completely impossible. This is especially true if you have a desk job, where you may spend hours and hours simply sitting in the same place without reprieve.
However there are plenty of ways to keep yourself busy and stay sane during work hours; you simply have to know what to do.
Here are five strategies that will provide the relief you seek:
- Plan your day. Write out a daily list of tasks and plan out your day before it begins. This will help to keep you focused and on task throughout the day because you’ll always know where you stand with all of your projects and tasks.
- Have a power hour. Resolve to dedicate the first hour of your workday to getting as much done as you can. Avoid your email inbox, favorite blogs, and voicemails, and get right to work. No matter what else happens during your day, you can at least have peace of mind about your productive hour where you got a lot of work done.
- Listen to music. Music can help you settle into your work routine. Low-volume music can drown out noises in the office without interrupting other people around you. Choose music that helps you focus without distracting you.
- Eat lunch away from your desk. Having a lunch break away from your desk can disrupt your productivity routine, but provide some much-needed relaxation and respite from your work. Enjoy your lunch break and return to your work with renewed energy and focus.
- Avoid personal activities at work. Respond to personal emails and deal with personal phone calls on your own time. By clearly separating work and home, you can focus yourself better during the day to get more done.
The Bottom Line:
You can stay productive, alert, and sane during work hours if you plan out your day and really think about what you’re doing at work. It doesn’t take much forethought to have a good workday, but the time you put into planning can pay off big time!